Date: 13th January 2008 at 3:50pm
Written by: Abel

Ten points from twelve and three clean sheets in four for the Seasiders over the Christmas and New Year period now feels a lifetime ago after the boys in all Tangerine crashed to a 4-1 defeat at the hands of Charlton yesterday.

Pool boss Simon Grayson elected not to hand new signing Stephen McPhee his debut from the start, but did bring back Kaspars Gorkss who replaced Ian Evatt who dropped to the bench.

Charlton had lost their last home game to Colchester, so this game represented a real chance for Grayson`s side to get more vital points on the board. However, two goals in the opening ten minutes for The Addicks effectively put paid to any hopes of the Pool continuing their climb up the league table.

Defender Madjid Bougherra opened the scoring on six minutes, heading home a Darren Ambrose corner at the back post. Poor defending at set pieces would again cost Pool later in the game, something that has become a very disappointing feature of an otherwise impressive season.

Just four minutes later it was 2-0. Luke Varney had all the time in the world to fire past Paul Rachubka following some non-descript defending from Blackpool skipper Michael Jackson, and duly did so.

A modicum of hope was restored when Ben Burgess scored the goal of the season to date – a wonderful dipping volley from distance. Most of the travelling support thought that the ball had gone over, only to start celebrating a split second later!

However, that hope was soon vanquished on twenty four minutes when Zheng Zhi restored the home side`s two goal advantage from close range. Again inexcusable ‘defending’, especially from Michael Jackson, led to the goal.

Half time: Charlton 3-1 Blackpool

Just ten minutes into the second half and it was 4-1, Zhi getting his second of the game after another close range finish after yet more poor Blackpool defending from an opposition corner.

Paul Rachubka must have been wondering what he done to deserve conceding four goals as a string of fine saves from the keeper kept the score line down.

With half an hour remaining, new signing Stephen McPhee was introduced and looked very lively. Indeed, despite playing only half an hour, he was undoubtedly the best Blackpool player on display. But not even he could claw back the game for Simon Grayson’s men as the final whistle went with the home crowd celebrating a thumping 4-1 win.

A truly bad day at the office for the Seasiders.

Final Score: Charlton 4-1 Blackpool


6 Replies to “A Bad Day at the Office”

  • Spot on. I just hope we will be able to write this one off as a bad day at the office in a few weeks time. Charlton were the much better team all over the park and clearly were up for it after their poor recent run. Our defending was woeful in the 1st 20mins. Luke Varney and Zheng Zhi (or Ping-Pong as he was affectionately known to the lads behind me) really gave Jacko, Barker and co. the runaround. Still on the bright side, we did stick to our passing game (68% posession!). Chubs made 3 or 4 top notch saves to avoid further embarassment. The new boy McPhee was lively (tho i have to say he reminds me just a bit of Keigan Parker!), Kaspars was a rock and Wes didnt stop trying to find a way through. Bring on them tractor boys (and a new right sided defender??)!

  • yeah but charlton are playing well so you got to expect to lose sometime to them as hard as it is

  • I didn’t actually think that Charlton were that good – if we had defended better, who knows what would have happened!

Comments are closed.