Date: 17th February 2007 at 9:39pm
Written by:

A Wayne Andrews strike seven minutes into the second half was enough to give Bristol City the three points as they visited Bloomfield Road, with around 700 away followers.

The exhausted Seasiders started with the same eleven as at Norwich in midweek, with Rhys Evans keeping his place in goal despite a clamour for Paul Rachubka to be given a debut. Paul Tierney and Scott Vernon shrugged off knocks to fill their starting places.

Rhys Evans
Shaun Barker – Michael Jackson – Ian Evatt – Paul Tierney
Adrian Forbes – David Fox – Keith Southern – Wes Hoolahan
Keigan Parker – Scott Vernon

From the word go City looked very dangerous indeed, as they confidently kept the ball and dictated the early stages. Wayne Andrews lead the line brilliantly and rattled in a speedy shot that was looking very tasty and required a big Evans finger to tip the ball wide.

The first real threat from ‘Pool came through a Wes Hoolahan threaded ball which found Scott Vernon, whose shot was parried by the ‘keeper only for Adrian Forbes` follow up effort to be hit straight at Basso in goal.

The visitors grew in confidence and Steve Brooker had two chances to put The Robins ahead, but with Evans equal to one, and the other being headed over, his exertions went without a goal.

On 28 minutes, Scott Murray took up the right hand side berth as he replaced Alex Russell. This was a move to pin Paul Tierney down as Hoolahan wasn`t providing any defensive assistance and that looked to be potentially profitable for City.

With pressure now building at a rapid pace, a goal was undoubtedly coming. Brian Wilson`s excellent hit from 25 yards produced a top draw save from Evans.

Then the moment seaside supporters were waiting for. A through ball found Keigan Parker in – behind the defence – and the pacey forward swiftly shuffled past the ‘keeper, only for him to take the ball too wide and find his resulting shot come back off the post.

A shot from Keith Southern made Basso in goal work and tip round the post for a ‘Pool corner as a mini spell of pressure was being built by the mighty.

More chances went begging as Keigan Parker was again denied and Scott Vernon nearly made the most of a half chance.
Half Time: Blackpool 0 – 0 Bristol City

I`m not sure what Simon Grayson said at the break, but it had an unfavourable effect on the players as City came out the stronger.

A long ball was hoofed up field for the impressive Wayne Andrews to chase. The former Oldham man must have thought it was Christmas again as indecision between Tierney and Evans allowed him to nip in and score – leading the Gene Kelly stand to erupt.

Andrews was in on the action again as he cut inside from the left and curl a shot onto the post.

Soon after that, Shaun Barker roamed free on a one man mission to claw The Seasiders back in the game. He cut in from the right and smashed in a 25 yard shot which just whistled past the post with half the ground thinking it was in.

The disappointing David Fox was then replaced by Simon Gillett (who was fantastic). Minutes later the even worse Adrian Forbes was hauled off for Ben Burgess.

No inroads into the Robins` box or penetration were happening, so Larry decided to take Paul Tierney off for Claus Jorgensen.

Steve Brooker had been a handful all day long and he nearly sealed the points for Bristol as he slashed one wide.

Parker again was put through by Gillett, only for him to hit the goalkeeper once more.

Ian Evatt was providing the best overlapping full back play all game (pity he`s a centre half!) and made room to set up Simon Gillett whose shot found its way into Basso`s gloves.

The whole game was summed up perfectly as Keigan Parker was sent scurrying off down the Bristol City left. He cut in field and didn`t have the confidence to carry on (who would after his “luck” in front of the net?) so bought a cheap freekick. From the deadball – (which was a yard outside the 18 yard box) which he took himself – the ball was flighted into the wall. Attack over. ‘Keeper not needed.

Ben Burgess so nearly made himself a hero right at the death as he grazed the post and saw a huge header saved, whilst Keith Southern stupidly saw his shot balloon over.

So Blackpool are without a win in four. The start of the end? I hope not.


3 Replies to “Andrews Sinks Seasiders”

Comments are closed.