Date: 6th December 2006 at 4:52pm
Written by:

In this Indian Premier League clash between Bombay (or Mumbai if we`re being politically correct!) and Charkhari at Bloomfield Road, the home side managed to steal a win in the last ten minutes through a wonder goal from Wes Hoolahan. Oh wait, that was in England?!?! The monsoon like conditions were not dislike to that in the towns and cities of India for the best part of four months a year.

Bloomfield Road last night?

With Pool kicking towards the kop end first half, they struggled to get a hold of the game, and tried playing a longer ball game, which wasn`t conducive in the winds inside Bloomers.

The visitors took the lead on 13 minutes when Damian Spencer scored from six yards, showing Seasiders striker Keigan Parker how it`s done after he missed a similar oppurtunity moments before.

Pool then came alive slightly, although some players did look as if they weren`t up for it. Adrian Forbes flashed a shot wide.

The rest of the half was a nonentity really, before a superb footballing move from the home side saw them rip through the away defence and Carl Dickinson crossing for the fantastic Andy Morrell to head home after 29 minutes.

One final chance of the half saw Shaun Barker miss when it was easier to score as his header from five yards hit the deck and bounced over the top of the away crossbar.

Half Time – Blackpool 1 – 1 Cheltenham

Early on in the half, the ineffectual Forbes was replaced by Big Ben Burgess with Parker being switched to the right hand side of midfield.

Spencer for Town nearly restored their lead, but Rhys Evans was equal to his header.

Then suddenly Pools game was upped, funnily after the rain had stopped, and had a couple of good chances to take the lead. David Fox, Keigan Parker and Ben Burgess all had efforts which failed to trouble the goals column.

Most of the game was in the midfield with still hurricane like conditions a result was more important than a performance. With this in mind, Wes Hoolahan, who had been quiet all night, collected the ball on the edge of Towns box. He squirmed past three players, twisting and turning, before unleashing a right footed strike past Shane Higgs to give the Seasiders a 2-1 lead with only ten minutes remaining.

A minute later, a superb move was rounded off with an Andy Morrell half volley that looked destined for the top corner being expertly saved by Town keeper. Save of the night so far, diving high to his right.

But he was undone in the “save of the night” contest, as Rhys Evans pulled off a stunning save right at the death denying the away side a point, and keeping the Blackpool fans ecstatic with the very vital three points.

Right at the death, Ian Evatt picked up a booking as he pushed Spencer in the chest after the big Town forward sent David Fox sprawling with a very late challenge.

At the end of the day, the performance wasn`t the important thing – the three points were, and Simon Grayson`s men managed to get them in the Tuesday night swag bag.

Saturday’s game is huge and could see The Seasiders climb to 6th in the League One table.


3 Replies to “Blackpool 2 – 1 Cheltenham”

  • E I E I E I oh up the Football League we go! Gutsy performance lads, full credit, we battled all night, and 2 pieces of quality scored us the goals whilst Evans showed us his qulaities in the last minute with a great point blank save. Play offs here we come!

Comments are closed.