Date: 30th September 2015 at 4:48pm
Written by:

The Seasiders picked up their first victory at home since January 31st by beating Chesterfield 2-0.

It was the perfect response from McDonald’s men, who on Saturday put in a dire away performance at Shrewsbury.

But this was a totally different story as the side were positive from the first minute to the last and completely deserved the victory.

McDonald opted with a 4-4-2 with Redshaw and Cullen up top, which looks to be the best option this season in terms of attacking threat. Robertson and Jones played together in the middle of defence.

Pool struck early with Mark Cullen scoring after just 2 minutes. The away defence failed to deal with a corner and Cullen was there to capitalise by smashing the ball home for 1-0.

Cullen could have added to his first 15 minutes later when he broke through from David Ferguson’s lofted through ball but was denied by a good save from Tommy Lee.

The Tangerines could have killed the game off in the first half and missed a huge chance minutes later. Cullen’s pullback fell to Redshaw who mishit the ball straight to Norris at the back post who somehow managed to put his effort from 3 yards wide.

Brad Potts also had a chance to make it 2 but Tommy Lee was able to deny him by charging him down which was quickly followed by Redshaw missing a decent chance when Lee tipped his effort over the bar.

Pool went in at the break with only a 1 goal lead but it should have been more.

Chesterfield did come out after the break looking a more threatening side and San Morsy’s effort drifted just wide on 63 minutes.

Sub John Herron also had to clear an effort off the line to deny Liam O’Neill and it looked like Chesterfield had the ability to find an equaliser.

But Pool quickly went on the break from Herron’s clearance and Redshaw was able to play Potts in on goal who powered the ball home with a superb finish to seal the win.

Jim McAlister could have added to the lead as his bursting run allowed him the space to shoot but Lee got down to save his effort.

The game finished 2-0 and gave Pool their first win since January.

This was the first game in a long time that the Seasiders looked like a decent side who fully deserved to win.

They were confident, attacking and solid at the back and were the much better side on the day.

In my last match report I spoke of the need for the team to put in a performance to show they were capable of competing in League One and this is exactly what was needed.

There may not be enough quality there to compete at the right end of the table but at least this performance did show some signs of quality, with the likes of Cullen and Potts impressing.

Though what’s sad is that there was a minimal amount of supporters there watching the team, but given the last couple of seasons that’s understandable.

Even though the performance was good, the fans passion of previous years just isn’t there anymore.