Date: 4th October 2015 at 1:02pm
Written by:

Blackpool managed their 2nd win a week and their first back to back victories in 2 years as they beat Swindon town 1-0 at home.

Tom Aldred came in for the injured Lloyd Jones but the rest of the team was unchanged from Tuesday’s victory against Chesterfield. McDonald again opted for a 4-4-2 formation.

It was the Seasiders who started the game more brightly and on 11 minutes Jack Redshaw had a decent effort from 25 yards that sailed just wide of the post after a good sliding tackle from David Norris.

Though Swindon had a penalty appeal for hand ball on 19 minutes as Colin Doyle came out to collect the ball, however he was judged to be just inside the area.

Pool were the better side in the first half and went 1-0 up on 38 minutes. Henry Cameron’s corner was flicked on by Mark Cullen at the near post and his header was judged to have crossed the line by referee Scott Duncan. That was Cullen’s fourth goal of the season.

Cullen could have added another before the end of the half as he found space in the box but Lawrence Vigoroux was equal to his effort across goal.

Brad Potts’ free kick before the break also forced a fine save out of Vigoroux who managed to palm the effort away.

The Tangerines went in at the break with a one goal advantage, though it probably should have been more.

David Norris made way for Bright Osayi-Samuel at half time in what was an attack minded substitution from Neil McDonald.

The young winger threatened throughout the second half and had his first impact on the game on 48 minutes. Osayi-Samuel managed to cut inside and release a curling effort towards goal from the edge of the box, only for it to be tipped away by Vigoroux.

The 18 year old had a good chance again just a minute later when he was slipped through on goal by Brad Potts but he couldn’t manage to get any power into his effort and put it straight at the opposition goalkeeper.

Swindon improved after this and could have equalised on 56 minutes were it not for some good goalkeeping from Colin Doyle, who rushed out to stop Jonathan Obika’s effort on goal.

Though just minutes later Pool could easily have doubled their lead. Brad Potts made a bursting run through midfield from his own half and found space to shoot, but his long range strike cannoned back off the inside of the post.

Town responded with their own long range effort soon after. Henrik Ojamaa released a curling attempt from the outside of the box but his shot landed on the roof of the net.

Osayi-Samuel had his third big chance of the game on 65 minutes as Jack Redshaw played him in on goal, but his attempted finish rolled just wide of the post.

The last 20 minutes were relatively quiet and Pool managed to defend well to prevent Swindon from equalising.

The away side did have a good chance in added time but Jordan Turnbull’s effort went straight into the hands of Doyle.

The Seasiders hung on for their first back to back victories for two years.

It was another impressive display from McDonald’s men who matched their performance from Tuesday’s win against Chesterfield.

There is still a lot of work ahead though. Pool sit 22nd in the table and on 11 points so they certainly cannot afford to lose focus.

Up next is a trip to Port Vale on Tuesday for a Football League Trophy tie, then it’s Bradford away in the league who currently sit two points ahead of the Seasiders in 16th place.