Date: 19th February 2009 at 10:23am
Written by:

By AbelBFC

First of all, good turnout once again by our fans (and theirs actually). We generated a decent atmosphere and it was good to hear Suddick’s name being chanted. I remember when we knocked them out of the League Cup last year and loads of kids spoiling for a fight after the game… this time on the way in, some pikey twat told us he’d be waiting outside the away end after the game for us. He wasn’t… obviously didn’t fancy taking on the might of the Keele Seasiders.

Opening exchanges were pretty even until Crainey fucked up big time and they took the lead. He tried to head the ball back to Gilks, but even when the ball was in midair you could see he was going to mess it up because his positioning was all wrong, but the ball went nowhere near him. Gilks came out anyway, but Hulse simply passed the ball inside to Commons who tapped in.

Gary Teale then went off injured (didn’t fancy being in Baptiste’s back pocket tbh) with Steve Davies replacing him (also to find himself in Baptiste’s back pocket… note how none of their goals came from our right).

Derby then forced a series of corners which resulted in them hitting the woodwork with Gilks beaten. However, this wouldn’t have happened if the ref had blown up for a blatant foul on Gilks by Hulse at an earlier corner.

We equalised through a nice little set piece: Vaughan pumped the ball in from a free kick and Edwards was there to send a lovely header into the back of the net. No less than we deserved.

Derby then made another change with Addison (injured) coming off for Nyatanga.

Just before the break the ref gave them a corner when Barazite’s cross evaded everyone. Barazite scored a great goal, but you could tell he’s been school by Arsenal: he was trying to win a freekick at every opportunity.

Half Time: 1-1.

Ref was booed on to the pitch at the start of the second half unsurprisingly.

Official site says they had a massive penalty appeal turned down in the 47th minute… didn’t see it myself. However, I did see that we should have had a penalty for a foul on Barker from a corner (this was the corner where the ball fell to Fox outside the area and he hit a great shot, only for it to take a massive deflection off a Derby player… for a goal kick).

The ref then didn’t notie Bywater catch the ball outside his area despite only being a few yards away. Disgraceful.

In the first half we’d played too much hoofball again, but in the second half we started knocking it about and looked dangerous. We’re far more of a threat when we pass it about and run at people, so why don’t we do it more often? The problem last night was that Campbell kept getting caught offside. If he had stayed onside, he’d have had a hatful of chances.

Chances wise though, O’Donovan skipped past about three players and kicked te ball out for a goal kick when GTF was there waiting for the pull back (and tap in).

GTF did have a chance a few minutes later after we cut apart their defence again, but he fired just wide.

Barker was then booked (and will miss the Bristol City game). Harsh on the lad really seeing as he was pretty much assaulted in the first half and didn’t get a freekick. I’m glad he’s suspended though: he was poor again last night, and it means we can get Evatt back in.

Commons then curled a freekick over after a foul by Edwards (also poor).

Campbell managed to stay onside remarkably for a chance: the ball came through to him and sat up crying out to be hit, but he cracked his half volley agonizingly into the side netting. Yes there were players in the area, but the ball was crying out to be hit.

After this, it was a case of typical Blackpool. Derby are a one man team and that man is Kris Commons. Crainey let him cut in from the right and he curled an amazing shot home. All too often we find ourselves dominating games only to be hit by a sucker punch like that.

Derby then had a goal disallowed for offside, and with 10 minutes left we took Vaughan off for Brett. Stupid, stupid sub: Vaughan was playing really well and Brett touched the ball once when he came on.

Baptiste was the booked for a foul on Hulse. This was just after he had slipped whilst Davies was running at him, but had recovered to make a brilliant tackle just as he was about to square the ball. The lad is class and is the only defender to come out of last night’s game with any credit.

Derby then made it 3-1 when Commons thread the ball through to Green to slide home past the onrushing Gilks.

Two minutes later and it was 4-1. Barazite ran the length of the field before firing home from the edge of the area. He wasn’t tackled once, disgraceful.

Derby then took Hulse off for Porter and a few minutes later the ref blew up.

Full time: Derby 4-1 Blackpool.