Date: 22nd April 2006 at 6:17pm
Written by:

Pool edged one point closer to safety today securing a draw against Barnsley in an action packed match at Bloomfield Road.

Simon Grayson made no changes to the starting eleven that managed to snatch a point at Brentford last week. Changes were made on the bench, Keith Lasley and Simon Wiles stepped into the squad in place of Morris and Butler. Neil Wood was due to start on the bench but was injured in warm up, which meant Lasley was called up at the last minute.

First Half

It was a nervy start by both sides with both having a lot riding on the game. After initial chances it was the Tykes that should have taken the lead when a far post cross was met by Danny Nardiello who fired his shot from close range high and wide.

Parker and Williams who now have managed to form a good partnership up front combined twice in the first half, giving Williams excellent chances to further his tally in a tangerine shirt. A cross by Parker eluded Williams but later on in the half another cross from Parker found a free Williams who could only head into the arms of Colgan.

But it was Parker who broke the deadlock, winning and then scoring a freekick. Parker had picked the ball up from Donnelly on the touch line, he made his way inside but a poor touch from the Scot resulting in him being tripped on the ‘D’. The Barnsley players complained about the decision and they had every right to as it did look like Parker had lost control of the ball and then decided to dive. The Scot picked up the ball and curled it over the wall into the top right corner giving Colgan no chance.

Nardiello was booked after several fouls on Clarke as the two tussled all afternoon. The Tykes were forced into an early change, Bobby Hassell replaced Neil Austin who was injured in a heavy tackle.

Barsnley continued to cause an aerial threat but were unable to create any clear cut opportunities in the first period despite the pressure.

Second Half

It didn’t take the visitors long to get back on level terms, a cross into the far post wasn’t dealt with after a terrific save from Jones to deny Nardiello Brian Howard was able to head in the equaliser.

Barnsely carried on searching for a winner, with Nardiello and former Pool loanee Tommy Wright leading the line. But it was the home side that should and could have taken all three points in the second half.

Marcus Bean fired a shot wide after good work by the impressive Prendergast, Bean kept his eye on the dropping ball in the box but scuffed it wide to the disappointment of a vocal home crowd.

Grayson threw on Blinkhorn and Lasley for Williams and Donnelly in an attempt to find a winner.

In the final ten Parker, Paul Reid and Anthony Kay picked up booking in what to be a heated end to what was a very entertaining afternoon at Bloomfield Road.

Keigan Parker had a great opportunity to get his second of the afternoon and a winner when he dispossessed Paul Reid of the ball, but as the Scot was racing clear Reid pulled Parker down from behind which earned the centre back a straight red.

From the freekick Parker curled a shot just over the top of the bar.

Barnsley could have ended the match with nine men when McPhail appeared to stamp on Prendergast in front of the fourth official, after discussing the incident with the fourth official Mr. Webster booked McPhail.


The draw moves us up to 17th place, three points clear of MK-Dons who occupy the top relegation spot. We’re not mathematically safe yet, but we would have to be mightily unlucky to go down after pulling ourselves out of the mire to gather 52 points.

Blackpool – Jones, Joseph, Edwards, Clarke, Wilcox, Donnelly (Lasley 79), Southern, Bean, Prendergast, Parker, Williams (Blinkhorn 80).
Subs Not Used – Pogliacomi, Stockley, Wiles.

Barnsley – Colgan, Austin (Hassell 34), Reid, Kay, Heckingbottom, Shuker (Devaney 60), McPhail, Howard, Hayes, Richards (Wright 68), Nardiello.
Subs Not Used- Flinders, Williams.


2 Replies to “Pool 1 – 1 Barnsley”

  • Great performance from Pool once again and very unlucky not to win. The atmosphere was top class and we played some great football at times. Red card at the end was good for them and bad for us as Parker was certain to score and instead we get a freekick. Sure we will survive now, no doubts, consistent performances like this one next season will see us where the tykes find themselves now. Up the Pool!

Comments are closed.