Date: 21st January 2007 at 2:37pm
Written by:

A rare strike from Keith Southern secured a valuable 3 points for Blackpool at Brisbane Road against Leyton Orient, as they continued their push for promotion…

On a blustery afternoon in London, the hosts kicked things off and both sides went close to taking the lead in the first five minutes of the game. Adrian Forbes shot wide while Ibehre shot over the ‘Pool bar in the opening exchanges.

Adrian Forbes again went close on 12 minutes when his shot went just past the right hand upright of the Orient ‘keeper’s goal following some good trickery from Wes Hoolahan who picked him out on the edge of the area. Shaun Barker almost put the ball into his own net in the 24th minute but fortunately the ball ended up past the post and resulted in a corner which the defence cleared with ease.

Just after the half hour, striker Andy Morrell was forced to make a goal-line clearance after Wayne Cordon had a strike from 12 yards from a corner from the left hand side. Wes Hoolahan was cautioned on 36 minutes just before Scott Vernon forced the ‘keeper into a save from a teasing David Fox freekick.

Another corner – one of 12 in total for the hosts in the 90 minutes – was forced when Shaun Barker was required to turn behind a teasing cross, but once again the corner was poor and easily cleared by the ‘Pool defence.

Jacko was forced into a crucial block on 41 minutes when he denied Alexander an opening goal. On the stroke of half time, Andy Morrell was close to getting on the end of a Wes Hoolahan cross. However the sides went in at the break on level terms.

The second half began more brightly for the Seasiders, despite the blustery conditions. Scott Vernon, Andy Morrell and Keith Southern all went close for the ‘Pool while Alexander and Ibehre had chances for the home side. Shane Tudor caused all sorts of problems down the right hand side and went close on 56 minutes after cutting inside and drilling a shot just over the bar.

Keigan Parker replaced Scott Vernon on 65 minutes in Blackpool’s first change of the game.

Andy Morrell had a looping headed rebound off the crossbar on 70 minutes after a Shaun Barker cross from the right hand side, the Orient defence stood firm and scrambled the ball to safety.

At the other end, ‘Pool were under pressure as Shaun Barker once again had to clear behind for a corner, which they failed to clear, resulting in a goalmouth scramble before it was eventually cleared for another corner which Rhys Evans gathered at the 2nd time of asking.

Ian Evatt and Kaspars Gorkss both had chances to open their scoring tallies for the Seasiders but both were unfortunately denied.

11 minutes were left on the clock when Big Ben Burgess came on to replace the resilient Andy Morrell and he played a part in the build up to the Seasiders’ goal. Keigan Parker broke down the right hand side and whipped a ball into the box for Ben Burgess, Chambers headed the ball clear to the edge of the 18 yard box only for Keith Southern to smash the ball home on the half-volley and secure the three points with only 5 minutes left on the clock.

Keigan Parker had a chance to make it 2-0 to Blackpool, but his long-range effort went just wide. Wes Hoolahan was then replaced by Claus Jorgensen before Keigan Parker had a goal disallowed for offside after latching onto a thorough ball from David Fox.

rient forced a corner in the final seconds and threw the ‘keeper into the mix too, but the defence cleared the danger and Blackpool hung on for a valuable 3 points and 6th place in League One, only 5 points off the top 3 teams on 52 points.


4 Replies to “‘Pool back into playoffs”

  • Wow – a Blackpool side that can grind out results, its been a while. They definitely lived dangerously at times (two off the line). Kaspars Gorrkss was outpaced at left back by Tudor – which caused no end of scares – he’s too slow for that job. Hoolahan, Evatt and Parker make the difference to this side. Great away support – 1500-ish?

Comments are closed.