Date: 30th September 2008 at 10:36pm
Written by:

The Seasiders travelled down to London to face promotion chasing QPR at Loftus Road in search of their victory away to The Hoops since 1972.

Simon Grayson named the same eleven to that which drew 1-1 against Coventry City on Saturday, which meant a 4-4-2 system and on loan Alan Gow still waiting for his full debut. Marlon Broomes made the bench instead of ineligible Zesh Rehman.

The last time Blackpool won on a Tuesday night was in the League One promotion campaign when, at Boundary Park, an Andy Morrell strike sunk Oldham and since then we have been beaten on a few occasions – including the defeat at QPR last year.

But it was Pool who struck first, on 18 minutes, when Gary Taylor-Fletcher staked an early claim for the goal of the season when he fizzed the ball home past Radek Cerny with his right foot from fully 30 yards out to stun the home fans.

Rangers, who left Kaspars Gorkss on the bench throughout, pressed for an equaliser before the break as Pool went into their shell, and might have counted themselves slightly unfortunate not to have found the net. Nevertheless, the now oh so demanding supporters greeted their first half showing with a chorus of boos at the half time whistle.

The second half was always going to be an uphill struggle for Simon Grayson’s men – despite what anyone believes the team is capable of.

Dexter Blackstock had a goal ruled out for an infringement as he nodded in after the break, which spelt trouble for the rest of the half.

Winger Lee Cook (who has never quite cut it at the highly level, despite being a thorn in the side of Championship defences up and down the country consistently) was causing Shaun Barker all sorts of problems and presented chances for Rowlands and co, who failed to find the net.

But it wasn’t all one way traffic. The Pool created opportunities of their own, with Keith Southern and Burgess going close.

Then, after a long spell of pressure, the home goal came, with just 11 minutes left on the watch. It did have an air of inevitability about it. Akos Buzsaky had a freekick which struck the crossbar, and Blackstock mopped up and notched to level the scores.

This prompted the Blackpool management to take off the physically drained Claus Jorgensen and replace him with Marlon Broomes – making his debut in a five man defence.

And the seaside rearguard held firm for the remaining ten minutes for a well deserved point. At one point in the evening we were as high as 8th, but now we sit 14th after the draw. A good point yes, perhaps we could have taken more from the game, and perhaps we will bury the Tuesday night hoodoo at home to Derby next month!


2 Replies to “QPR 1 – 1 Blackpool”

  • Nice to see Gary Taylor-Fletcher score for you last night. Ever since he left us (Lincoln City) I have followed his career and I think that he should be in his prime now.

Comments are closed.