Date: 22nd September 2007 at 8:05pm
Written by:

Frustration is the buzz word around Bloomfield Road after a week of dropped points, after today’s 2-2 draw with Colchester United. Goals from Andy Morrell and Shaun Barker looked to have sealed three points (and a playoff place) for the ‘Pool, but two Mark Yeates free kicks earned United a point – one on the context of the whole game they probably deserved.

Blackpool team:
Barker – Jackson © – Evatt – Crainey
GTF – Southern – Fox – Hoolahan
Morrell – Burgess

The visiting side kicked the game off – kicking towards the rusty North Stand. Sadly the opening period was a total non event, devoid of any passion, ideas or creativity. The ‘Eurofighter’ plane swooping over the ground was the only reason for the bloke sat next to me to reach for his binoculars, thus the poor quality of the game.

Ian Evatt hobbled off with a nasty looking knee injury midway through the half, and was replaced by Kaspars Gorkss.

Both sides had efforts each (token efforts, mind), with Izzet going closest for the visitors and Ben Burgess hitting the post. ‘Pool have still only notched up one goal in the first half of a league game this season.

Why are we asleep until half time? Are we cautiously playing our way into each game, or are we just not up for it from the off? Whatever the reason, the players came out for the second half with renewed vigour, ideas and energy. David Fox looked menacing from 25 yards as his shot was palmed away for a corner. The resulting corner found its way to Andy Morrell, who duly obliged to put The Seasiders one up after 54 minutes. Just moments before, a certain Toronto Pool was heard to be moaning at the ineffectuality of Morrell.

Blackpool kept pressing for another goal thereafter with Keith Southern going close, and Burgess being unlucky in and around the box.

The big man was having a sterling game once again as he continues to quash his critics. Up against Adam Virgo – a defender who was signed by Celtic only a few years ago – Burgess won almost every single ball in the vicinity. He does have his misgivings; Ben’s awareness of what’s around him worries me at times, but if he has a quick strike partner *Keigan, come on down?* to read his flicks, we might be in business.

Ten minutes after the goal, United found a way back into the game. A silly freekick to give away 25 yards from goal was brilliantly curled home by Mark Yeates past Rachubka to level the scores on 64 minutes.

That seemed to spur The Seasiders on yet more, and as GTF was replaced by Andy Welsh, the momentum remained with Simon Grayson`s side. The introduction of Keigan Parker also was a huge boost; the team looked to have missed his injection of pace and quality all game.

The tempo was increased, and although a clear cut chance wasn’t created until 80 minutes, we kept plugging away and the whole side you could see sensed there were cracks in the visitors defence.

A great hit from Wes Hoolahan was tipped wide and from the resulting attacking play Blackpool were ahead once again. A couple of corners after Wes’ shot followed, and then one finally found a ‘Pool attacker: Shaun Barker. His looping header found the top corner and send the home end sell out ground into ecstasy – with only six minutes remaining. Surely we could hold out this time and learn from our mistakes on Tuesday night?

Wrong! We couldn’t. Criminally Michael Jackson was caught climbing all over big Clive Platt just outside the area. The resulting freekick was either very special or seriously collectively poor defending. Mark Yeates it was again who curled the ball round the wall past Rachubka once again to give United a deserved point.

When will we learn? Will we live to regret the four dropped points in five days cum next week at Watford? End of the day, the mighty Seasiders should be sitting second in the table?


2 Replies to “Seaside Heartache…again”

Comments are closed.